Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Review - Tokyo on Foot by Florent Chavouet


This was an impulse online purchase sometime last year. It was a classic case of judging a book by its cover (and its title!). I love all things Japanese and I love observational-style drawings so I suspected I would like this book.

Florent Chavouet tagged along with his girlfriend for six months when she got an internship in Tokyo. He had nothing better to do so he spent his days drawing. He'd set off with his pencils and sketchbook and hang out in different areas of Tokyo and he'd get to know them by drawing them.



His is a realistic style of drawing but with a cartoonish feel. He's amazing with detail and a wizard with colour pencils. He's also keenly observant of Japanese culture and character 'types' (hence the cartoon feel of some drawings).



Having visited Tokyo around the same time he must have been drawing it, I get a thrill of recognition at some of the drawings and situations.



I love this book - it's the kind you dip in and out of when you need a bit of an inspiration-hit. Or a kick in the bum to get drawing!



I checked out his blog to find out what he's up to these days but it's all in French. If you can read French, head on over and check it out...and then maybe let me know the latest on this awesome illustrator ;)



Tokyo on Foot is published by Tuttle Publishing.




2 comments:

  1. Aaaaargh!! Another one of those must-have books with a should-be-doing (living the illustrated life I mean) feel to it... You know how to pick them :D LOVE the stuff you introduce me to! And I love that you lived in Tokyo for a while - Japan must be such a different world... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has become one of my very favourite books to look through - what he managed to achieve in six months is amazing. I actually lived in Wakayama (near Osaka) and only visited Tokyo for a weekend but still, this book makes me feel so nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete